Not far from New Mills, is our biggest and nearest town Stockport.
New Mills has two train stations, central and new town, the New Mills Newtown, Buxton Service stops in Stockport.
As well as some decent shops, including a huge Tescos and Pets at home some interesting old buildings and Parks ideal for a dog walker, Stockport also some lovely green suburbs within its county, Bramhall, Marple, Romiley and Compstall, are all surrounded by green belt areas, great places to walk.
In Stockport town centre there some places to have a long dog walk, if you head towards the COOP pyramid building past the bus station and walk down Wood Street, juts behind the Ye Old Wool Pack pub, is lovely path, ( at first litter is a problem) the path follows the Mersey River, passing under the M60 and Kingsway, we walked as far as Didsbury Manchester and we got the bus back but I think you can walk further to Sale.
History of Stockport
“Stockport was recorded as “Stokeport” in 1170. The currently accepted etymology is Old English stoc, a market place, with port, a hamlet (but more accurately a minor settlement within an estate); hence, a market place at a hamlet. Older derivations include stock, a stockaded place or castle, with port, a wood, hence a castle in a wood. The castle probably refers to Stockport Castle, a 12th century motte-and-bailey first mentioned in 1173.
Other derivations are based on early variants such as Stopford and Stockford. There is evidence that a ford across the Mersey existed at the foot of Bridge Street Brow. Stopford retains a use in the adjectival form, Stopfordian, for Stockport-related items, and pupils of Stockport Grammar School style themselves Stopfordians. By contrast, former pupils of Stockport School are known as Old Stoconians. Stopfordian is the general term used for people from Stockport, much as someone from London would be a Londoner.
Stockport has never been a sea or river port. The Mersey is not navigable to anything much above canoe size; in the centre of Stockport it has been culverted and the main shopping street, Merseyway, built above it.” Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockport#History
New Mills High Peak, is also near Stockport towns, Marple, Romiley, Hazel Grove, High Lane, so our dog home boarding service is very handy if you live in one of those areas.
“Stockport does not readily spring to mind as a tourist destination because of its more recent industrial past but it is an ancient town on an important crossing of the Mersey. If you happen to be in the town with an hour or two to spare, the centre is worth exploration. Before the local government reorganisation of 1974, Stockport was the largest town in Cheshire, just ahead of Birkenhead. Its population had risen from 22,000 in 1801 to 93,000 in 1901 and 142,000 by the census of 1861.
There was a church on the site of St. Mary’s as early as 1190 but very little of this survives. The church was replaced by a larger building about 1310 of which the chancel remains. The church was closed when I visited but Raymond Richards mentions that beyond the altar rail is a triple sedilia and a double piscina in the Decorated style. There is an effigy in a recess in the sanctuary of Richard de Vernon, who was rector from 1306-1334. He was the second son of Sir Ralph de Vernon of Shipbrooke. Richards states that the crowning glory of the chancel is the timber roof built during the time of Richard de Vernon. The only other example of this type of roofing in the county is at Tarvin. There was major rebuilding om 1812-14 in which limestone was employed whereas the chancel was built in sandstone. Richards notes that some fine roofing in the rest of the church was lost in the 1812 restoration and that the church was so solid that gunpowder was needed to remove some of the foundations. In a further restoration of 1848, the Vernon Chapel was destroyed.
Pevsner, in introducing the town, remarks that the last remains of the Stockport Castle were destroyed in 1775. It was built in the late 12th century and lay just NW of the church. The site was used by Sir George Warren to build a circular cotton mill with battlements. .
The fabric map shown above was made by 280 young people. It hangs in the former Produce Hall and shows the districts of Reddish, The Heatons, Cheadle Heath, Gatley, Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme, Heald Green, Bridgehall, Bramall, Bramall Park, Woodford, Edgeley, Adswood, Davenport, Offerton, Hazel Grove, High Lane, Strines, Disley, Marple, Mellor, Romiley, Compstall, Woodley, Greave, Bredbury, Brinnington and Heaviley.
The Town Hall was built between 1904 and 1908 by Sir Alfred Bramwell Thomas. Pevsner describes it as in a William & Mary style with a Wren middle tower too high and too heavy for the body of the building. The Market Hall dates from 1862 while the Produce Hall was built in 1852. It was originally a single storey building but was adapted in 1875 to produce an upper storey for use as a library.” Quoted from http://www.thornber.net/cheshire/htmlfiles/stockport.html
Little Happy Hounds New Mills, professional dog walker, dog sitting services.